Tuesday 11 February 2014

Music Helps Me Write

Sometimes I can't think of what to write next in a story. I know what happens, it's just filling in the details, making it interesting etc.
Usually when I'm struggling, simply staring at the last paragraph I wrote, I like to put on some lyric-less music, usually soundtracks, and usually connected to what I'm writing.

When I was writing my Elder Scrolls stories, I mostly listened to the Elder Scrolls Soundtrack, by Jeremy Soule.

With my Fallout Story, I listened to Mark Morgan's 'Vault Archives', which is the Fallout 1 & 2 Soundtracks that he remastered. I also listened to the FO3/NV Soundtrack by Inon Zur (Gotta love that name)

With my Trek story, I have been listening to the TOS soundtrack (Got the LaLaLand Records' TOS soundtrack collection, which is 15 CD's) The 'Doomsday Machine' soundtrack is something special, I mean wow, does that episode have some really good music. In fact TOS has good music all throughout, It's just that some cues such as the Kirk/Spock fight music from Amok Time has been overused, and turned into a cliché.

I have also listened to Bear McCreary's Battlestar Galactica Soundtracks on occasion while writing. (Usually when I'm writing a fight/battle scene) I have all of them, and think that Bear is probably the greatest TV composer in recent times. The stuff he comes up with is pretty unique. There's no soundtrack like a Bear soundtrack.

On a side note, on FF.net, I was looking for other Star Trek TOS fan fiction, that wasn't on the Enterprise, or connected with the crew. Found absolutely nothing, so I might be unique in that regard, which is nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment