Monday 26 May 2014

Red Faction: Armageddon

So I pretty much played through this in 2 sessions, and overall found it to be the poorest game in the series. I know it has been a number of years since it was released, but finally got a boxed console version for quite cheap.

First off, I have been an RF fan since the first game, which was an FPS. the fact you could tunnel using GEO mod was really fun. It was a unique experience.

Now, I didn't particularly like RF2 and found RF: Guerilla to be too much of a departure being a TPS. RF:A is similar to RF:G, but is a linear space monster shooter.

Anyway, onto the unique game mechanics. First up is the use of the Nanoforge, which is simply press left trigger to rebuild objects. novel idea, but not well used in my opinion. It does lead to the fact that no platform is safe, as it can be destroyed beneath you, meaning you have to rebuild it, which I did like.

As for the combat. it wasn't anything special. Mostly killing massive amounts of alien creatures, which is the only thing stopping this game from being an hour long. There are no puzzles to solve, not that I can remember, it's just shoot everything in sight.

In honesty it was quite boring.

There was only few saving grace's, one of them being a strong female character called Kara, who SPOILER was killed near the end in a moronic asinine (and open for interpretation) way, making the rest of the game feel even worse. It was kinda expected, but I felt she shouldn't have just been stabbed by a tentacle (or whatever it was) and dragged off the cliff.

In fact it irritated me so much, that I wrote a first chapter for a fan fiction where she survives. Probably won't upload it to FF.net unless I finish it, but as for now it has quelled my disappointment of an already lacklustre game

I absolutely loved the first Red Faction. I hope that now Nordic Games (I think that's who owns the license now) make it an FPS and take it back to its roots, which was far better than what it became.

No comments:

Post a Comment