Thursday 8 August 2013

on Rails, Amazingly Generic Entertainment (RAGE)

I've started playing Rage on the PC. While it looks really nice, and runs in 64bit, I can't help but feel like I'm on a rail. The shooting parts guide me down often narrow hallways, and you know for sure when the area gets large and square that it's a mini arena to fight a load of guys or mutants in.
The driving parts aren't much better. The world exists in long canyons, and it almost feels pointless to have it in at all.
Early on you have to retrieve parts from the dead city. You get glimpses of a giant creature roaming about. But the problem is I knew the exact moment I was going to have to fight it, because literately in the area you fight it in, you get a rocket launcher with an infinite ammo cache nearby. It completely spoilt the whole fight because I knew the creature was going to show up right then and there.
If there's one thing I have to say, is that it's generic. It starts off well, but the first gun the game gives you is a pistol with absolutely no feel to it whatsoever. The first time I shot it, it just let me down a little. This game was made by Id. And from what I understand, they used to make killer games.
I can't help but feel that the RAM of current games consoles are partially to blame for how this game turned out. The PS3 uses 512mb of RAM divided by 256 for the video and 256 for the memory (If I recall correctly) and the 360 has 512 unified (I believe) even in 2005 they must have seen this as becoming a problem well before the system's life cycle were out.
That's not to say I'm not enjoying RAGE. I wasn't expecting much to begin with. Overall it's a modern shooter. That's to say it holds your hand, and carefully guides you to make sure you don't accidentally graze your knee.
One thing regarding FPS games. I've never played a Call of Duty game and I plan on never playing one.

No comments:

Post a Comment