Friday 24 May 2013

Star Trek: Overwatch

One of my passions, is science fiction. And Star Trek (and Forbidden Planet) kind of began science fiction as something more than just daft stories for kids, a way to tell current morality tales, but set them in the future. (Not to say Star trek didn't get daft - Spock's Brain anyone?)

You could say Star Trek started fan fiction in the western world as well.

About 4 years ago now, I started to think about writing a Star Trek FF. It would follow the crew of a starship set in the TOS movie era. This ship would be destroyed in the opening moments, and the crew forced to survive on a planet surface until aid arrives. Then I started to expand the story. What if this ship was on detachment to a Starbase? The starbase could be the source of many stories beyond this one. So I put the starbase near the Romulan neutral zone and called it Starbase 23. I then moved it into the TOS era.

Then I discovered the novel series Star Trek: Vanguard, and I saw similarities between it and what I wanted to do. So I abandoned the idea.

Recently I found those old files. Character sheets, story outlines. There was a lot there. I decided to begin to write it again. If it's similar to Vanguard, then so what? I want tell a story, and I want to tell my story. The story I developed those four years ago.

I decided to embrace the Vanguard series, and even base the starbase off of the Watchtower class. I called it the Guardtower class. I even made a pic in relation to the Watchtower.


And a schematic
And deck listing
Why do all this? I like to build the world i'm going to be writing in. I like to be consistent, and if I have information detailed, it lowers the risk significantly, that it won't change later on.
Yeah, i'm a nerd :)

JG

No comments:

Post a Comment